Friday, February 25, 2005

Feminism

I found the discussion in last class to be the most interesting yet, because opinions were so goddamned polarized. That the some of the girls in class were so offended by Selene was interesting. I actually liked her character because she focused on using her strengths. I'm not sure what would have made the other girls happy. If Selene was a real physicist? I found her characterization more realistic. She was smart, but just not good at math, and that's true for a lot of people of both genders. Would it have been less sexist if she hadn't wanted a baby at the end? I'm not so sure, I found that to be a natural and necessary progression of the plot.

The objections to Dua were interesting too. Unlike, Rachel, I did see Dua as representing women, but it was cool that she was also nearly a rational, and yet seen as all the more feminine because of her wispy appearance. The fact that she and Selene both acted as catalysts to the men in their lives showed that they were using the strengths they possessed instead of seeking credit like men. So yeah, I foudn overall that I liked both the female characters because they were fairly realistic. The truth is that women rarely make significant discoveries in science, most likely because of some social processes rather than lack of intelligence, but it's still the truth.