Friday, February 18, 2005

Religion, etc.

I am always immensely amused when comments equating to "Dumb people follow organized religion because they have lower reasoning skills" are made because it means that a few key people are going to get really pissed off. Sadly, much of what I was expecting was curtailed by a shift in the conversation, but enough was said to create a great rift between Alex, who I agree with to some extent, and Lennea, who I also agree with to some extent.

I don't want to think that religious people are literally less intelligent, but less educated I can believe. Is it the education necessarily or is it the experience of college? Because I'm sure that graduates of Brigham Young are intelligent, but they haven't been turned away from religion by their education. In my overly liberal sensibilities, my snap judgment is that religious people are stupid and ignorant, but I don't think I actually believe that. At what point in college does a ridiculously religious person lose the belief that only they are right, which is where the distinction between religious and crazy religious is drawn for me.

So yeah, I guess my point is that religion confuses me and the reasons people believe in it are vague and incomprehensible so far. I feel that religious people who think they are the only correct ones are being true to religion, and therefore are the most honest ones, but simultaneously the most judgmental and ineffective.



Also, for the next book: look at this picture of Asimov, damn, nice sideburns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov