Friday, March 18, 2005

Yeah, a week off

So, like the others, I wrote my post about next week. Oh well..

I though that the combination between Planet of the Apes and structure of paradigms should have been further discussed. I'll agree with you guys that paradigm is a more complicated word than I previously thought. In fact my view of it is more confused than before. I figure now that my definition of paradigm as a basic theoretical framework to build upon can be retooled. Planet of the Apes shows this completely and simply with the apes' continuous assumptions that all scientific discoveries must be in line with scripture. However, their departure from the scientific method is also complete, as they ignore contradictions to their current paradigm.

In this sense, though, I understand some of the apes' actions because to change a major paradigm such as what their science is based on is painful and would have completely changed their society and often societies aren't ready to be changed. One day though, the apes will have a more liberal leader with support in place and the change to a more equal society will be welcomed and their science can actually advance. This stuff doesn't happen overnight and it always fails at first.