Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Blade Runner and Such

Okay, first of all, I don't understand the rumors that Harrison Ford was also a replicant. Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of blade runners, to make them robots? After all, they're smart enough to catch other robots, so what if they realize what they are. Well, I guess it would make the scene where Harrison Ford almost rapes that girl a little less disturbing, if only because they're the same species this time. I personally interpreted the unicorn as a reference to the way the blond guy dies later, because the music and camera was similar.

Anyways, I'm not sure this movie is a great commentary on "What is human?" I saw the replicants at first as mostly non-human, maybe too advanced to pass for human. But I guess if I gave them a few years, provided they didn't die, they could gain the memories that are probably the difference between us and them at first glance. Rachel, though, was closer, but her characterization didn't actually make me care, I kinda wanted her to die. So, I guess if Ford was the best of them, then they win, because he's the only character I cared about. Oh, and the inventor and the geneticist. But then, they were human.

So yeah, this movie was more interesting to me for its characterization of robots as distinctly non-human. The addition of the lifespan problem was interesting because it further separated them. By limiting their lives, really being human was prevented and I support this measure.