Monday, April 18, 2005

Wiggin Family Genetics

Kinda drawing off of Andrew's "Family" post and what was said in class, I found the Wiggin family's role overall as entertaining to say the least. I could practically say that my favorite part of this book was the ploy that Valentine and Peter pull off completely separate from Ender. The complete brilliance of the family was the coolest plot device I've seen in a while. Some criticisms from class: I don't think that it's such a coincidence that all three kids were so great, and not the result of a government breeding program necessarily, although the book of short stories "First Meetings" would refute that, perhaps. Just plain old good genes and raising made those three. Also, the feminists in class were getting all pissy about the Battle School excluding girls, but come on now, without being sexist, you can say that little girls tend not to be as competitive minded when it comes to wargames and emotional abuse.

Okay, and I went to Florida this weekend and bought Xenocide in the bookstore at the aurport and read it so fast that fingers were black from the ink at the end. Not a bad book, but a little flaky by the end.