Monday, March 28, 2005

And we come to the main event

I'm wondering about tomorrow because Ender's Game is one of my favorite books. What are we going to be debating? When I mentioned this to one friend, he was hoping that we would discuss Ender's flawed military tactics--we argued about this for a while, until I told him that I expected us to discuss the policies of social isolation in the book. "Well, yeah, speaking of flawed military strategies" he said. But I was talking about the creation of the population laws in the society.These types of laws are the most frightening type to me. And this is why we need space flight, to spread out of this world before it gets too crowded.

Another thing that has always surprised me was how I always love Demosthenes' philosophy of individual freedom, but he is seen by most as heading an unreasonable army. But, then, even Valentine comes to believe in Demosthenes, despite finding his views foolish at first. The type of world where defending such freedoms is foolish is something I hope we aren't approaching. At first read, the world of Ender's Game is not so different, but on closer inspection, damn man, it's scary.