Monday, May 02, 2005

Aww I'm all sentimental

This is the only class I cared about this semester, except for this inconvvenient Saturday morning class that met three times, but aside from that, I only wanted to be in this one. Amid writing bullshit ethnographies and reading about how crappy Latin America is to peasants, I got to read some really fucking good scifi that I didn't know existed. I took this class to be with my friend Rachel and to discuss Ender's Game in some academic sense and to have a class with Jackson. And those were all fulfilled just fine, and the new authors I've now got about a million books by make this semester worthwhile. Granted, I could have done without Ursula Leguin in general, but everything else was cool.

The best comment made in class last week was "when does more technology stop being an improvement?" and I think that in certain areas of technology today, that has even been reached. I feel like that there has never been a time before now when all scientists should absolutely be shown a required set of movies, namely the ones about medical mutants eating brains and spaceships called to Earth with radio waves obliterate us, not to mention anything to do with artificial intelligence. I read a news story recently about scientists putting the largest amount of human dna ever into mice for ummm god knows what. When questioned as to whether the mice would gain human intelligence, one scientists said don't worry, if the mice start showing human-like behavior, they'll be killed. They were talking about a human developing in a mouse body! AHHH! I understand that medical improvements are always necessary, but come on! I guess pretty soon we're doomed anyway, but I'm still holding out hope for a sudden jump into colonizing other planets so I can get the hell off of this place, preferably taking my hometown with me (not the people, just the beaches)